Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Special Day for Mommy

This outing was supposed to be part of my birthday celebration. Daddy took a couple days off to spend Spring cleaning the yard and doing "something fun for Mommy's birthday" which is actually tomorrow. Now they say fishing was ultimatly my choice. I'm not so sure about that. My idea of a beautiful day spent enjoying nature at its Spring finest ended a little differently than I had planned.

Doesn't Walden Pond sound like the perfect spot for the boys to catch their first fish, enjoy nature and have a fantastic family day? I think so too. Well, the fish weren't biting. How about our nature hike? The pondside trail is fenced in as part of an anti-errosion project... It felt how I'd imagine a walk around the grounds of a medium security prison might feel. Not to mention how the drive through Concord made me covetous of living in a big old colonial with some dead minuteman's name on a plaque by the front door. Back to the car we go... no fish, no nature walk. So we head toward home. And ended up fishing off of a bridge in a local park. Not the pictureque historical landmark I imagined but these fish were biting. And everyone had a wonderful day ... celebrating Mommy's birthday... hmm. Maybe tomorrow.


Now before you think I am selfish or squeemish or heartless - I had alot of fun too. Their faces as they each reeled in their first catch were priceless, and the memories that we made today are better than 100 "me" focused days by far. I chose this version of "my special day" and I got what I just what I wanted for my birthday.


And no, we didn't take any of them home for dinner.

No comments: